Thursday, March 15, 2007

Choosing a Grad School...


So my grad school choices are down to 2 options right now: I just told Carnegie Mellon no because they wouldn't be able to let me start until September. Well I guess I'm actually at 1.5 options. I had a talk with David Smith at Cornell a few days ago, who will let me know for certain if he can offer admission in a week ... He did tell me it is a likely occurrence, but there's nothing solid yet. But if he offers me admission I'm not sure what my answer will be when he calls just yet...

So here's the pros and cons of what is left:

CORNELL:

On the pro side... Cornell has David Smith, a researcher who is not only the only one among the schools I was accepted to who is researching what I want to research, he is also new to Cornell. This means that where other advisors will have to take time for bureaucracy and committees, Dr. Smith will be investing LOTS of time into his research... and grad students. As one of his first students, my success is inherently linked to his... and he will want me to do well.

Aside from that I've talked to people who have worked with David Smith before... the good impression I had of him wasn't far off... he genuinely cares about his students and his research. He is certainly the most genuinely awesome researcher I have talked to thus far... he shares my worth ethic and sense of humor... so 60 hours a week in his lab wouldn't really feel like work.


Compared to Vanderbilt, I would also finish up my Ph.D. A LOT faster at Cornell... My background is much more suited to David Smith's research than anyone else's, and if David Smith will be ready to work very hard, I will be ready to keep up with him. I'd feel more ready to contribute sooner in his area than anything going on in Vanderbilt.

The downsides to Cornell? Those are only social issues. It's a small department, and though both Mark nor his new girlfriend are not in the Psychology department, they both started in it... and Mark's office is still 3 doors down from David Smiths. At least Mark won't be in his office very much... and I'm more likely to be in the lab rather than David Smith's office.

I talked to Mark and his new girlfriend when I went out for an interview, as well as tried to figure out how much social awkwardness would exist for me if i was in the department. His new girlfriend didn't really care at all... Mark thought it might be awkward for a few months... and being that I'm sure he tried to downplay that... it probably means it would be a bit worse. There would be at least 2 people aside from Mark I'd be outright avoiding, and a few more who would never be that close to me because I am Mark's ex girlfriend. Aside from that, I really don't have too many friends left in Ithaca... most of them moved away. What's left is a pretty stressful family. I'd be ignoring a lot of people in a very small town... I'd be choosing my hobbies carefully so not to overlap too much with Mark's. I'd be starting off a little more lonely because of that.

But then again Cornell offers a good stipend for such a rural environment. I could live closer to green pretty things which is quite important to be in the long run.... It means I'd be more likely to be able to have a pet or grow things in my front yard... it's easier to find green energy sources in Ithaca that are affordable. As far as environmental concerns go, Ithaca is great.

VANDERBILT -

Pros – Vanderbilt has a very strong program... on average ranking higher than Cornell's in Neuroscience. They have a lot of people with very diverse labs looking at very broad questions... unfortunately just not the ones I'm interested in. Still... I like how the department works and thinks as a whole, I'm sure I could come up with something. They don't have a lot going on in Memory research, and their next recruit in the next year or two will be a computational memory person. If I went to Vanderbilt... but I have no idea who this person will be or whether what they are doing will be what I want to do. I'd be taking some detours... I'd learn more genetics, I'd learn more chemistry... and I'd have some catching up to do. And once I got down to setting up a research committee, it would mean I'd need to find 2-3 advisors instead of one... I'd be piecing together knowledge and lab time from multiple people to come up with something related to the questions I want to ask in Memory research. The pieces are there, but it's safe to say that I may take 1-2 years more time in the Vanderbilt program than in Cornell. I'll be 25 when I start... at some point I'd like to be able to afford a house payment, half of a wedding... or perhaps children... all of those things seem a bit far off for now, but if I'm 32 when I get out of grad school, I'd like to think a lot would have changed.

Vanderbilt also would mean I'd be close to family... both my aunt and uncle and several cousins. I also have a friend in Tennessee 4 hours away who might consider coming to Vanderbilt in a year... and a friend in Michigan who'd be planning on moving out with me just to have a friend around as he goes back to school / finds a job in a better economy. As far as social considerations... I'd be great. Plus Nashville, from what I understand... is a fantastic city. It's warm, there's lots of local art and music...

I do get the idea that if I wanted to live next to something green it would be a lot harder, but with family in town it might be easier to help me find it.

Overall I've been told the best plan for grad school is to find a researcher you think is awesome and stick to them... David Smith definitely wins out... especially since Vanderbilt didn't have anyone in my area of research. I don't think there's an easy decision here... either choice will direct the course of my career and being that I will be 32 when I get out, it will probably determine who if anyone I'd get into a serious committed relationship with along the way... Either choice will direct my life, and either choice involves some seemingly big sacrifices.

But any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated =)

-Orriana

No comments: